Microsoft 365 has grown to be the most popular cloud service from Microsoft. It is used by millions of users around the world and provides the highest value for Microsoft. Even though, Exchange Server is the principal email server that use enterprises, Exchange Online present in the Microsoft 365 Enterprise and Business offers more flexibility in accessing the email across all.
The security of the mailboxes are identical to those in-premises Exchange Server, but are accessible on any device or at any location. When users decide to transfer their data from to on-premises Exchange in to Microsoft 365, then they must migrate to both OST in addition to PST files. It is the Offline Data File (OST file) is the replication of Exchange mailbox data , while it’s online file (PST file) includes most important contacts, emails notes, messages, sent items and attachments, details about calendars and so on.
It is necessary to import OST files into Office 365
There are many benefits to having this Exchange mailbox data that is stored on cloud-based platforms such as Office 365. If you have internet connection, you are able to access all the emails on Office 365 from any computer at any time. A lot of Exchange users would like to keep copies from their Exchange mailboxes in Office 365. To help with this, one can transfer the Offline Outlook Data File (OST) to Office 365 accounts and this can be accomplished in various ways.
Prior to this, there are several factors that cause users to transfer the OST file into Office 365.
- To avoid Exchange crashes and to ensure an efficient platform.
- Changes in organization due in part to Office 365 advantages.
- Access to data quickly in secure environment following accidental deletion.
- To prevent large Exchange maintenance disruptions and save time and money.
In the following article, we’ll discuss the manual methods to import OST emails into Office 365. There isn’t an easy way to transfer your OST files directly into the Microsoft 365 accounts. The user must develop several workaround strategies to convert and export/import the information.
Related Post: How to Delete Exchange Online User Mailboxes Temporarily or Permanently
1st Method: Convert OST file into PST, then import PST into Microsoft 365
The second method, which is manual, is an indirect one which allows you to convert OST data files to PST and then transfer the PST file into Microsoft 365 because Security & Compliance of Microsoft 365 supports the import that involves PST files.
These are steps needed to make the PST file;
- Open Outlook then click File option.
- Click Open and Export and then click to open the import/export wizard.
- After you have opened the Import/Export wizard, select the option to Export to the File.’
- Choose the second option ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’ and click Next.
- The wizard will display each folder of your Outlook OST mailbox account. Select the box to include subfolders and then click the Next.
- Now Select on the Search button to specify where you have located your PST file. Select the options to handle duplicate items. After that, click to close.
- A brand new PST file was created that contains all of the information associated with the OST email account.
Note: One cannot migrate OST files with data such as message rules, custom folder properties, view, meetings schedules etc. following the above procedure.
The other method involves importing the PST files into Microsoft 365 using either the Network Upload or Drive Shipping methods.
NOTE: It is crucial to assign the role of Mailbox Import Export on those Microsoft 365 mailboxes before starting the process. For this, log in at your Exchange Admin Center of the account, click Permissions and then click on Organization Management by double-clicking the mouse. Select the Add option and then select the Mailbox import export role. Click on Save lastly to save the role.
Network Upload Method
This Method of Network Upload allows you to migrate multiple PST files at once. We will guide you through the steps precisely;
- Get AzCopy, the AzCopy tool and obtain the SAS URL for your organization: AzCopy tool is required to run the network upload method. AzCopy software is needed for the upload process over the network along with the SAS URL is the combined URL of the URL of the Azure Storage location as well as shared access signature key.
- Login to protection.office.com or your organization with the help of Administrator credentials.
- On the Security & Compliance Center, select the option to import PST files. Click”New Import Job.
- Select the first option to Upload your information.
- The next page will require you to copy the SAS URL to upload the files via network and then use an AzCopy program to transfer PST files. PST files.
- Make use of AzCopy program to download PST documents onto Microsoft 365: The AzCopy tool allows you to upload PST documents directly into Azure Storage. Azure Storage location of your company.
- Run the command prompt in the name of the Administrator.
- Find the folder in which you’ve set up the AzCopy Tool and execute the command to
AzCopy.exe /Source:UNC-Path-of-PST-File /Dest: /V: /Y
Notice: Enter the PST file (to be uploaded) path as well as URL of the SAS URL copied in the previous section.
- Create Import Mapping File: After you have saved the PST files at the Azure Storage Location, you need to create a comma-separated-value (CSV) file that will have the name and details of the Microsoft 365 mailboxes that will have to save the PST files. Create your CSV file by listing the various properties, such as workload, FilePathand Name mailbox, TargetRootFolder and ContentCodePage etc.
- Make a brand new import Job to PST files: Again, you must visit Microsoft 365’s Security & Compliance center at Microsoft 365 Admin Center and select an option called New Import Jobs.
- Select the option to Upload your personal data.’
- Check the checkboxes for the two options . I’m done with uploading my files, and I’m able to access an image file.
- Choose Mapping File button and then upload the previously created CSV file.
- Hit to click the validate button to confirm the contents in CSV files.
- Click to save to send an employment.
- Then, start your PST Import Job , and filter it: New Import Jobs will look for the specified data and will allow you to filter the data in within the PST file. After you have made all the necessary changes begin the process of migration.
Drive Method of shipping
Drive shipping method will save you from the lengthy and tiring process of using the upload method via network. If you opt for to use the Drive Shipping method of shipping, all you need to do is make the PST files, then copy them to Drive and then contact Microsoft. An Microsoft Official will collect the PST file from you. Alternatively, you can send your drive directly to Microsoft Office from your own end and upload it into Microsoft Office 365. Microsoft 365 mailbox. This is not advised since it takes about 10 days to send your PST document out of PST into Office 365 via Microsoft official.
2nd Method: Make use of Professional software
Professional software is the best choice to perform any change to Microsoft 365. It doesn’t require complicated procedure or prerequisites, however, it requires only the data extracted from PST files as well as the credentials associated with you Microsoft 365 account only. You can buy any program that includes all the benefits of migration.
We recommend the most effective OST to Office 365 Migration tool to convert PST or OST files to the Cloud platform securely and directly. Visit the official website (Regain Software) to learn more about the complete details of the features. Start your journey to the exclusive migration!